It’s Winter and that means it’s time to sit down with a mug of warm Rose Hips tea and peruse seed catalogues. One of our favourites is by West Coast Seeds, a family owned company located in Ladner that sources high quality untreated seeds for organic growing.
We know garden planning can be overwhelming so we like to keep things simple by practicing the Square Foot method of gardening, growing what we love to eat and what grows best in our urban garden. Stay tuned for our upcoming post to help you with your garden planning.
Who doesn’t love a snack with their tea and catalogue? Healthy snacks full of protein, healthy fats, and delicious ingredients keeps us energized and able to focus. Our Seed Butter recipe is extra amazing as it can be easily packed in lunches with fresh veggies and does not contain nuts.
Simple Seed Butter
We start with raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds and roast them in the oven. Raw seeds are fresher than roasted as the oils from roasted seeds have a tendency to go rancid. If you already have seeds on hand, or if you are tight on time you can purchase roasted seeds. It’s best to get them from a store that has a higher turnover of seeds so they are as fresh as possible.
Roast your raw seeds in the oven for about 10 minutes at 325F. Stir them every few minutes to ensure they don’t burn.
We like to add hemp hearts as they give the butter a creamier textures. Our honey is infused with vanilla but you can use the honey you love. Give local honey a try!
The vanilla is optional but gives the butter warmth. Students get super excited when they smell the vanilla before it is added. It reminds them of holidays and baking.
After the sunflower oil is added the butter may form a ball. Not to worry! Keep processing and it will smooth out again.
Once it looks like the photo above on the right, it’s time to add the honey, salt, and cinnamon (if using). Process another 2-3 minutes, enough to incorporate your ingredients. If your butter starts to harden, add a 1-2 tsp of oil to thin.
Add the vanilla, process 30 seconds.
Your Simple Seed butter is ready for snacking!
Simple Seed Butter
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- Pinch cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 head of celery
- Pre-roast seeds 8-10 minutes at 325F, cool
- Process seeds and hemp hearts in a food processor for 2-3 minutes; stopping to scrape the bowl often
- Add oil and process for another few minutes (the butter will clump up then start to break down)
- Add salt, honey and cinnamon (if using)
- Process 2-3 minutes, adding a touch of oil to thin, if needed
- Add vanilla and run the processor another 30secs to incorporate and smooth the butter
- Cut small “logs” of celery to be used as a spoon for the butter
- Garnish with extra seeds, cinnamon, raisins
- measuring cups and spoons
- pan and parchment paper for roasting
- food processor